What Do You Know About Xanax?
Xanax is a drug that falls under the group of drugs popularly known as Benzodiazepine. It is a name given to a brand drug of the same content that its generic medicine is made from and sold in the market. Alprazolam is a generic drug that costs a bit lower than the brand name, i.e., Xanax.
Both these drugs are the same and are taken as a treatment for anxiety and panic disorders. Many people may not know this, but Xanax is one of the most commonly prescribed psychiatric medications. It is widely common among the people of the United States.
What is The Use of Xanax?
The use of Xanax is to help manage anxiety and related issues. It shall be taken for short-term relief from the symptoms of anxiety and panic disorder. However, it is important to know that in case of tension or stress that does not occur on a regular basis, needs not be treated using Xanax or any other medication. One should always consider taking the drug as per the guidelines provided by the health expert.
Basically, Xanax helps to treat Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). It is unrealistic or excessive anxiety under which the person starts worrying about two or more situations. The phenomenon can be observed for a period of 6 months or longer. Under this, the person is more concerned about days than the concern that is taking over their mind.
A patient is prescribed Xanax only when the doctor has observed the varied signs of anxiety or its issues. The patient must be having at least 6 of the symptoms that are mentioned below –
- Aches or soreness of the body parts
- Muscle tension
- Getting tired easily
- Feeling shaky
- Falling short of breath
- Accelerated heartbeats
- Cold or clammy skin
- Smothering sensations
- Mouth gets dry
- Having trouble swallowing
- Dizziness and headaches
- Getting chills
- Urinating frequently
- Unable to concentrate
- Trouble falling asleep
Tell your doctor if you come across more than 3-4 of these symptoms at a single time. These signs generally occur when a person is developing a disorder called “anxiety”.
Along with this, Xanax is also taken for the treatment of a panic disorder. This drug will help in reducing the panic attacks which are responsible for causing this disorder. Relatively, panic attacks occur for a short while and are responsible for causing intense fear, discomfort, and uneasiness. Below we have listed the common symptoms that occur when a person faces a panic attack. They are –
- Trembling and shakiness of the body
- Feeling choked
- Pounding of the heartbeats
- Pain in the chest
- Feeling discomfort
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling dizzy
- Feeling lightheaded
- Fear of losing self-control
- Chills in the body
- Fear of dying
- Derealization or depersonalization
When a person experiences four or more of these symptoms at a single time, it is supposed considered a panic attack. When these attacks keep on re-occurring, then it is taken as a panic disorder.
Facts About Xanax –
- Alprazolam or Xanax belongs to a family of drugs that are known as Benzodiazepines. This category of drugs affects the working in your brain and helps in managing the unbalanced chemicals.
- This medication works by increasing the number of a neurotransmitter called GABA, present inside your brain. It further promotes a feeling of relaxation and calmness in your mind.
- Xanax works in your body quite effectively and is safe for use when taken in the correct format.
- It is the single most drug that is prescribed as a psychiatric medication in the United States.
- Earlier in the year 2006, there were almost 38 million prescriptions written for the use of Xanax. Later in the year 2013, there was an increase in prescriptions that were in total 50 million.
- 70% of teenagers are suffering from Xanax addiction. It has been observed that for illegal use, they acquire this drug from a friend or family.
- In the year 2015, there have been approximately 8,000 deaths due to the overdose of a Benzodiazepine (Xanax, Ativan, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, and others) drug.
Warning For The Use of Xanax –
Xanax, as we know, is a Benzodiazepine drug that is effective and can also have side effects otherwise. It is better to know the signs that can be alarming after a while. You all should follow the given guidelines in order to be safe from the adverse effect of the drug –
- Tell your health expert if you have been taking alcohol on a daily basis. It is strictly not advised to take Xanax or any other drug when you are consuming alcohol.
- This drug, Xanax, is not permitted for use by pregnant ladies. Tell your doctor if you are expecting to be pregnant so that he/she can suggest the best remedy.
- Do not take Xanax when you are breastfeeding your child. The drug may get transferred into the body of the unborn.
- Do not drive a car or lift/operate a heavy tool until you are on the effect of Xanax.
- You should not increase the dose of Xanax without asking your health expert. Even if you see that the drug is no more functioning in your body, tell your doctor about it and then take the dosage as per the legal advice.
- Also, do not stop taking the drug on a sudden note. Lower down the dosage day by day and then abrupt from the use of it.
Read More about “Xanax dosage and other colored bars”